Code Poetry
and Text Adventures

by catid posted (>30 days ago) 12:40pm Tue. May 21st 2013 PDT
I was contacted this morning to do some subcontracting for NASA for forward error correction.  This got me looking at Wirehair code again, and I realized that I hadn't used the restrict keyword.

So I added it in: https://github.com/catid/wirehair/commit/7861ba6dc2a67b66f27a835071d117a634f3113f

The result is another 20 MB/s of performance on my desktop!

New results on my iMac:

$ ./tester
>> OKAY! N=64(0.096 MB) encoder.BeginEncode in 951 usec, 100.946 MB/s
N=64 decoder.Decode in 318.113 usec, 301.78 MB/s.  Average overhead = 0.016 (24 bytes)
>> OKAY! N=1064(1.596 MB) encoder.BeginEncode in 3331 usec, 479.135 MB/s
N=1064 decoder.Decode in 3005.77 usec, 530.979 MB/s.  Average overhead = 0.017 (25.5 bytes)
>> OKAY! N=2064(3.096 MB) encoder.BeginEncode in 6835 usec, 452.963 MB/s
N=2064 decoder.Decode in 6520.38 usec, 474.819 MB/s.  Average overhead = 0.016 (24 bytes)
>> OKAY! N=3064(4.596 MB) encoder.BeginEncode in 10586 usec, 434.158 MB/s
N=3064 decoder.Decode in 10668.1 usec, 430.819 MB/s.  Average overhead = 0.027 (40.5 bytes)
>> OKAY! N=4064(6.096 MB) encoder.BeginEncode in 14490 usec, 420.704 MB/s